We knew we were going to a friend's house for a Memorial Day BBQ on Sunday -- but the weather was so nice on Sunday that we spent the bulk of the morning working in the garden and completely lost track of time. Needless to say, when we checked our watches and saw it was 1:00, and we were supposed to be at the party at 3:00, I went into scramble mode to pull together a dessert to contribute to the celebration.
A quick run to the store for the ingredients and I was ready for action.
I really wanted to do something festive (aka red, white and blue). Since time was not on my side, I almost cheated and bought cupcakes from the bakery, but then I saw how beautiful the strawberries and blueberries looked and I decided to make a Festive Fruit Pizza.
1 tube of ready to bake sugar cookie dough
1 container of blueberries
1 quart strawberries
1 container of ready-made cream cheese icing
- Remove from oven and let cool completely
- Use large knife to loosen cookie from pizza stone for easy serving
- Spread icing in thin layer on cookie
- Rinse and drain fruit
- Slice strawberries lengthwise, arrange on iced cookie
- Add blueberries in the center and to fill in gaps
- Sprinkle with confectioners sugar
NOTE: To avoid the cookie getting soggy, be sure it is fully cooled before icing, and be sure fruit is well drained.
Substitute (or add) kiwi, banana, raspberries and blackberries for variety.