Want to try something a little different? How about trying a "Red, White and Bleu Burger?"
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 container crumbled bleu cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Break up ground beef (or turkey) into a large mixing bowl.
- Cut up uncooked bacon into small bite-sized pieces and add to bowl
- Add full container of bleu cheese crumbles
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all ingredients and hand-form burgers
6. Grill immediately, or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve
7. Serve on a crusty kaiser or potato roll
NOTE: You will want to grill these over a lower flame to ensure the bacon cooks through, but the burger doesn't char. Cooking to a temperature of 150 degrees makes for a nice medium rare burger and the bacon will be cooked (though not crispy).
A perfect side to really compliment the flavors is a Red, White and Bleu Spinach Salad
Borrowing this image from www.pensieve.me/ because I haven't made the salad yet this weekend....but I will!!
- fresh spinach (cleaned and torn)
- strawberries (sliced)
- blueberries (whole)
- crumbled bleu cheese
- chopped red onion (optional)
- walnuts or pecans (chopped)
- Poppyseed dressing (I've included a recipe if you like to make your own, but I've found Brianna's poppyseed dressing to be every bit as good as homemade).
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 cup salad or olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon poppy seeds
- Add all salad ingredients (except dressing) in a large bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Just before serving toss salad in dressing.
-- a festive fruit pizza!
Of course, if you're on strawberry and blueberry overload there's always the great all-American favorite -- apple pie and ice cream!
Have a safe and happy 4th of July!