Search My Blog

July 5, 2010

Can Dreams Really Come True?

As little girls we grow up on fairy tales with all kinds of happy endings.  The glass slipper fits.  The wicked witch perishes.  They live happily ever after.  And so on.

Then life takes hold and we realize fairy tales are just that, and we surrender to the idea that life isn't fair.  You've got to take the good with the bad.  The grass is always greener, etc.

How is it that in the span of just a few decades, our attitudes could swing so far from one extreme to the other? Who says that dreams can't come true?  Maybe we're just looking at it all wrong.

When I started this blog a year and a half ago, I didn't really have much of a purpose in mind.  I wasn't sure what I would write about, or even who would be interested in reading it.  I started this blog for one simple reason -- I have always wanted to write -- and somewhere in the depths of my mind I thought that maybe, just maybe, if I could get myself into the habit of writing -- a writer would be born.  Maybe through this exercise of writing I would find myself -- or perhaps somewhere along the way, I'd be "discovered."

Well -- after 18 months, it is no surprise that I have not been discovered.  Most people have no idea what motivates my missives -- and I can't tell you the kinds of questions I've fielded about my blogging (some of which have been downright rude).

"Why would you waste your time doing this?"

"What if no one is reading?"
And my all time favorite...
"No offense but with all the great writers out there, why would anyone be interested in what you have to write?"

Ouch.  That one packs an extra punch. 

The list of questions goes on -- and in all honesty, they're all extremely valid. I mean really, why in the world would anyone give a hoot about what this 40-something mother from Po-Dunk, PA has to say about anything?    

Your guess is as good as mine.  But you know something? Somewhere out there in this crazy world, there are in fact, people who are interested.  As a matter of fact, I just looked at the Google Analytics for 'Round the Kitchen Table and was astounded to learn that since its inception, more than 2,400 different people, from 53 countries (including visitors from every single one of the United States of America) have read more than 7400 pages of my blog entries!   

I am humbled.

When I started this journey, I may have had some different dreams about what might transpire from this little blog -- but I can't say that I'm disappointed.  Though I am not a writer by conventional standards, I know there are people who look forward to my musings, and miss me when I go on hiatus.

I'm still finding my way, and trying to figure out where this blog could take me, but one thing I know for sure -- this girl's pendulum of positive thinking is swinging in the direction of believing that in their own  unique ways, dreams absolutely can come true.

For those of you who have visited my blog before, or subscribed, or referred a friend, or commented -- I send a heartfelt thank you for helping to keep this girl's dream alive. 

No comments: