Search My Blog

March 2, 2009

Nothing's Worse than a Bad Banana

I know you know exactly what I mean. You see a bunch of bananas and they look like they're going to be phenomenal -- seemingly a perfect degree of ripeness, no bruises to speak of, not too hard, not too soft. Then you take a bite...and YUCK. It's flavorless and a little cardboard-like to eat. It's not necessarily a rotten banana -- but it's disappointing because it's not what you thought it was going to be.

I had one of those bananas today -- and despite my urge to throw it in the trash, I suffered through because I didn't want to waste it (plus I needed to eat some fruit). Afterwards though, I got to thinking, why didn't I drizzle some chocolate on it, or slice it up into my yogurt, or even add a dollop of whipped cream? There were any number of things that I could have done to make that bad banana a little more palatable -- but I didn't.

I may not have enjoyed that little banana very much today -- but believe it or not, it did get me thinking about life (if you haven't figured it out yet, pretty much everything makes me think about life and my place in it).

Disappointments are a fact of life for all of us, and though there's little we can do to prepare for them, we can choose how we're going to react to them. It's all about attitude.

So what do you do when you get a bad banana?

Are you the type to take a bite then pitch it if it's not what you expected? Do you suffer through even though you're not enjoying it? Or are you resourceful enough to compensate for its lack of flavor by combining it with peanut butter, or whipped cream, or yogurt, or chocolate (yum)?

I know how I handled the bad banana today -- but next time I'm reaching for the chocolate.

Every day is a choice. Just be happy.

No comments: