Search My Blog

March 31, 2009

Gram's Sauerbraten

For any of you who know me personally, you know that I am a pretty sentimental person. I may not be a saver of memorabilia and my photo albums are incredibly incomplete, but cherished memories and family traditions are my lifeblood. I am all about reunions and reminiscing and the mental triggers that almost magically transform you to another place and time.

For me and my family, Gram's Sauerbraten is a virtual time machine. When it's simmering to perfection, the aroma that floats through the house is like a heaven-sent hug from my grandmother, and every bite brings back memories of family gathered around the table in celebration.

I don't know of many people who make Sauerbraten these days, so you may be wondering what the fuss is all about. Try it for yourself and see. You too may find that it's an out-of-the-ordinary meal, worthy of taking center stage at family gathering for years to come.

Gram's Sauerbraten

From the recipe box of my beloved grandmother -- Marie Gaillard

NOTE: Though easy to prepare, this is NOT a last-minute meal. The key to the flavor is several days of marinating!

You'll need:
4 pound rump roast
4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups wine vinegar
3 cups red wine
4 onions, thinly sliced
4 whole cloves
4 whole peppercorns
2 bay leaves
1/3 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon sugar
8 gingersnaps, finely rolled

Step-by-Step
  1. Rub meat with salt & pepper.
  2. Place in large bowl.
  3. Add vinegar, wine, onions cloves, peppercorns and bay leaves.
  4. Cover and refrigerate four days, turning meat each day.
  5. On the fourth or fifth day remove meat, pat dry.
  6. Pat flour on meat.
  7. Brown meat in melted butter.
  8. Strain marinate, pour over meat.
  9. Cover and simmer for 2 1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
  10. Remove meat, blend in gingersnaps to thicken gravy, add sugar to taste.
This meal is especially delicious served with baked macaroni and cheese and red cabbage.

Enjoy!

No comments: