Search My Blog

June 2, 2009

Chicken Delight a la Lolly

Did you ever have one of those days when your day just got totally away from you and before you knew it, it was dinnertime and you have NO CLUE what you're making for dinner? I have those days pretty frequently because I am just not the best when it comes to meal planning. After almost 20 years, I've finally realized that if I keep some basic staples in the cupboard, I can usually whip up a semi-decent dinner on the fly. And when all else fails, we always enjoy those "Breakfast for Dinner" nights.

My latest dinner on the fly was a definite hit -- and was way too good not to share. This was inspired by a meal Jeff and I have enjoyed at a local Italian restaurant -- but is adapted depending upon what goodies are "on hand."

For lack of a better name, I'll call this one Chicken Delight a la Lolly (you can't help but smile when you say that, can you?). The quantity here fed four...with few leftovers. If #5 had been with us for dinner that night, we'd have stretched it...but all been yearning for more.
Prep time: 20 minutes.

You'll Need
  • Boneless Chicken Tenderloins (I try to keep Perdue flash frozen ones on hand at all times) - I figured 3-4 tenderloins per person because they are more petite

  • Cheese Tortellini (or pasta of your choice) - family size

  • One can Whole Artichoke Hearts (in water)

  • One can Button Mushrooms (in water)

  • One jar Roasted Red Peppers (in oil)

  • 3 Tsp. Garlic Grapeseed Oil

  • 1/2 cup Wildtree Piccata Sauce
Step By Step
  1. Saute chicken tenderloins in Grapeseed Oil over medium heat until the juice runs clear, turning regularly

  2. In separate pot, bring water to boil for tortellini

  3. Drain artichoke hearts and mushrooms

  4. Remove roasted red peppers from jar, being careful to reserve oil

  5. Slice peppers lengthwise into strips

  6. When meat is finished, add roasted red peppers with oil, artichoke hearts and mushrooms

  7. Add Piccata sauce

  8. Mix gently, cover and reduce heat to simmer for 6-8 minutes.

  9. Just before you're ready to serve, cook tortellini as directed (the type I used was ready in 2 minutes).

  10. Serve chicken, vegetables and sauce over tortellini.
Wonderful when served with a tossed salad, steamed broccoli or spinach!


NOTE: I've also used marinated artichoke hearts for this recipe and added the artichokes with marinade for extra flavor.
ENJOY!

2 comments:

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

MMMM, I'm making this sometime this week. Thanks for the idea!


Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner?
www.MaWhats4Dinner.com

Kat @ TodaysCliche.com said...

Yum! This looks delicious! Do you mind if I post it over on my site, www.TodaysCliche.com? I have a recipe section, that includes recipes FROM OTHERS, so I will totally give you credit, of course! Thanks, Lol! ;-).

Blog Widget by LinkWithin