Search My Blog

June 17, 2009

Mission Organization Update -- NOT

Remember, a few weeks ago I gave you a sneak peak at the mess that was gracing my office? Well, last week one of my friends asked me for an update on my progress -- and I cringed at the thought. The truth is, it's been pretty slow going. In fact, I pretty much cleaned up a small corner of the office, then called it a day...and I haven't thought about it since.

That confession is more than just a little embarrassing to admit -- because folks, I read your blogs. I know how crafty and creative you all are. I see what you're able to do with a can spray paint and some yard sale finds. I am dazzled by your ability to get organized and stay that way. Yes, I've seen what you do -- and I have absolutely no business writing about my "accomplishments." They are non-existent.

That said, I will give you an little update -- but I'm not posting pictures -- not yet anyway. I have:
  1. Sorted and priced two boxes of stuff for a yard sale (no idea when I'll have it...but hey, at least I'm getting prepared!!)
  2. Organized my Wildtree materials
  3. Picked up paint samples to paint the bead board in my office (I know that's not organization -- but I have to paint the wall before I can hang the pictures...and the pictures are stacked up on the floor waiting to be hung)
  4. Filled two bags of stuff for the recycle bin
  5. And ordered a new day planner!!

#5 is probably the thing I am most excited about. I am one of those people who is in constant search of the "perfect" planner. After years of searching, I've finally realized that there is not one single system that works for me -- and you know what, that's OK! I'm at peace with it.

My perfect system combines:

  • a 2-page per day planner where I keep my daily to do list, and notes from any meetings I have that day;
  • a small journal where I keep a "to do this week" list on one side, and "open items" (i.e. things that are pending or awaiting action from someone else) on the other;
  • a second journal that has my goals for the year (broken down into monthly goals)
  • and finally, my Outlook software where I have monthly task reminder set up, and I flag emails for follow up.

Like I said, it's a hodge podge system -- but the good news is, it works for me! I can't tell you how long it took me to come to terms with the fact that I was not a "one-system" girl. I've learned to spread the organizational "love" around, combining my affinity for Franklin Covey products, with my desire to be a good neighbor to the folks over at Day-Timers (they operate just a few miles from my home).

Anyhow, I was extremely excited when I went to check out the planners online, because it's time for Franklin Covey's Biggest Sale of the Year!! Lot's of great ideas for organization, and some deals on items I've been eyeing up for the past few months. So needless to say -- I may not be able to spot a yard sale find...but I know a good sale when I see one!

Lame as it may be, that's my update on mission organization. Photos will come eventually...but since we all know that patience is a virtue...I know you won't mind waiting. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin