Search My Blog

June 25, 2009

Good News, Bad News, Good News

Nothing like sandwiching a little bad news in between two helpings of good news to make the bad a little easier to swallow.

Excuse all the food references, but since my news is all Wildtree-related it seemed appropriate. We've tried a few more Wildtree products --- and since I always promise to be honest with you -- I will even share the "not gonna do that again" experience.

Good News -- Pesto & Alfredo Sauce mixed together is A-OK!

We love Wildtree's Alfredo Extraordinaire on its own. It's a nice, light Alfredo that really goes a long way when tossed with pasta (as opposed to pouring it on top). The sauce actually comes as a powder mix to which you add either heavy cream or milk and some butter. I use skim milk so it's very light -- whole milk or cream would obviously make it heartier. I've also substituted chicken broth for half the milk which makes it even lighter and healthier.

We love the Basil Pesto on its own. Unlike some pesto, this is not an overwhelming flavor -- but it's just plain good. Making it is super easy (read that, embarrassingly easy). You simply add a small amount of water to the dried herbs to hydrate them, then add Grapeseed Oil (adding Garlic Grapeseed Oil adds a great extra kick of flavor).

So what happens when you mix two great flavors together? Awesome!

I actually came up with this by chance the other night. I was making pasta, and no one felt like having red sauce. Everyone was in favor of my Alfredo recommendation, but I spoke in haste. When I grabbed the jar of Alfredo mix, I realized we didn't have quite enough for everyone, so I made what I could (as directed) then whipped up the Pesto (also as directed). I added the Pesto to the Alfredo just before tossing it in with the pasta. It was OUTSTANDING (i.e. no leftovers)! We'll definitely make that one again.

Bad News - We won't be using the Wicked Good Slow Cooker Sauce on beef again.

You have heard me rave about the Wicked Good Slow Cooker Sauce on pork and chicken. Well, yesterday I tried it on a rump roast, and based on how much was left on everyone's plates, we won't be making that again. Maybe if you're a big fan of BBQ beef you'd like it, but we all agreed that it just didn't have the same delicious flavor that we've come to enjoy on the pork & chicken. So while it's bad news for beef, it's not bad news altogether.

Good News -- Kidz Mac 'n Cheese to the Rescue

Fear not, the family didn't go hungry because they didn't like the beef. I also made a pound of penne and a double recipe of the Kidz Mac 'n Cheese sauce and they devoured every last bite. If your kids (or you) are big into Mac 'n Cheese from a box, I cannot stress how highly I recommend our Kidz Mac 'n Cheese sauce.

Here is a list of the ingredients in Wildtree's sauce mix and the nutritional guide.


INGREDIENTS: Cheddar Cheese Powder (Cheddar Cheese [pasteurized milk, salt, cheese culture, enzymes], Salt, Lactic Acid, Natural Flavors), Buttermilk Powder, Lactic Acid.

Versus Kraft:

CHEESE SAUCE MIX (WHEY, MILKFAT, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SALT, SODIUM TRIPOLYPHOSPHATE, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF CITRIC ACID, LACTIC ACID, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, MILK, YELLOW 5, YELLOW 6, ENZYMES, CHEESE CULTURE).
(Click here to see Kraft's complete label)


Besides all those mystery ingredients and food dyes, notice the huge difference is the sodium content.

Wildtree: 160mg
Kraft: 580mg
Wildtree's Kidz Mac 'N Cheese is just one of many products that could make a huge difference in your family's overall health. Compare the labels on the taco seasoning, chili seasoning, etc., and you'll quickly realize why I talk so much about Wildtree in this blog.
I apologize if this was a little of a rant -- but this label comparison hit me hard last night. I hope you'll consider how Wildtree products can make it very easy for you to cut those preservatives, MSG and food dyes from your diet, and start serving healthier foods for yourself and your families.
OK -- so that's the Good News, Bad News, Good News sandwich! Gotta run -- all this food talk has made me awfully hungry. Time for lunch!

1 comment:

Chow and Chatter said...

good pasta idea and yuck kraft

Blog Widget by LinkWithin