Search My Blog

May 1, 2009

Flavor of the Night -- Cilantro Lime

Last night was a totally Wildtree dinner -- and a first tasting experience with four different products.

Our Menu

Cilantro-Lime Grilled Chicken -topped with Fiesta Salsa (newly released seasoning blend)

Rice with Cilantro-Lime Seasoning (another new release)

Tossed Salad (I used the Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette Dressing to keep "in theme")

For dessert -- Wildtree O' So Fudge Brownies with Vanilla Bean ice cream.

Everything was prepared as directed by Wildtree -- so I won't go into the How To's -- I'll just give you basic preparation tips, feedback on ease of preparation and overall "family reaction."

Chicken -- I marinated boneless chicken breast in the Wildtree's Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette dressing for about 3 hours, and continued to brush with marinade while grilling. The flavor was very good although mild. I'd recommend marinating for a longer period of time to really capture the flavor.

Cilantro-Lime Rice -- This gave off the most heavenly aroma throughout the house. Extremely easy to make and complimented the meal perfectly. I could eat rice every day of the week (which makes it hard for me to be unbiased about this one), however my family doesn't have that same affinity. There weren't any comments either for or against it -- although the fact that it didn't get scraped off the plates into the garbage speaks volumes.

Fiesta Salsa -- Another embarrassingly easy-to-make item from Wildtree. (Just mix the seasoning with diced tomatoes and chill). Extremely flavorful -- almost more flavor than we're used to with salsa -- and was a superb topper for the chicken. I will definitely be playing around with this one because I think it's an outstanding flavor that could be mixed with tomatoes and just about anything to make a great salsa that's all your own. I'm thinking about adding fresh peppers, pineapples, peaches, mangoes, kiwis -- the possibilities are endless. (I see a future blog posting devoted solely to salsa varieties made with this seasoning!!).

O'So Fudge Brownies -- as easy to make as any boxed brownie mix. We're used to super ooey-gooey fudgy brownies and these didn't fall into that category, although I wouldn't say they were cake-like either. They were a actually a very happy medium between the two. Flavor-wise they were great and I'd bring them to any picnic or party in a heartbeat (especially when you do the side-by-side label comparison and realize that Wildtree's brownies have less fat, much less sodium (15g vs. 105g in Betty Crocker) and double the protein --oh, and none of those preservatives that so many of us would like to eliminate in our diet.

Comments Heard Around the Table

"I feel like I'm eating in a fancy restaurant."

"Mmmmmmmm"

"I don't usually like grilled chicken because it's too dry. This is really good."

"Is there more?"

"You can make this meal anytime."

Overall Rating for Ease of Preparation: 4 out 5 stars

Overall Family Satisfaction Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Cost of all Wildtree Products Used:

Dinner Only - $6.00 / $4.80 for Culinary Club Members
Dinner & Dessert $13.50 / $10.80

Final Verdict -- It's a Keeper!




Cilantro on Foodista

4 comments:

One Sweet World said...

Looks yummy Lauren!! You blog is shaping up nicely!!

Lauren said...

thanks Kim!! hope you are well!

Alisa@Foodista said...

Hello Lauren,first time here!Followed you from the foodieblogroll and I really love your stories. Your dogs are so beautiful and so are the flowers in your yard.Hope you wont mind but I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site, just add this little widget here to this post and it's all set to go, Thanks!

Lauren said...

Hi Alisa,
Thanks so much for coming to visit and for the kind words about my blog (and my dogs). I added the widget...look forward to visiting your site!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin